YOUR FAILURE TO VISIT THIS PAGE REGULARLY MAY CAUSE YOU MUCH GRIEF!
are in reverse chronological order--You should go through all announcements since your last visit, as simple common sense would suggest! NOTE: excuses such as "I did not know this was available via the class homepage," or "I did not have time to go to the class home page," and so on, will not be tolerated. In this class, intellectual laziness has its price: a poor grade.
Make sure you read the policies on office hours before you come to see me.
|[] Course Assignment Materials
[] Missed Class/Test Form
[] Instructions for the Essay
[] Music--Jazz (origins/influences)
[] Newseum.org[] UB Spectrum (student newspaper)
[] UB Undergraduate Advising Services
[] CAS Undergraduate Advising Services
[] A-Z index of all UB websites
[] Study Guides and Strategies (effective study habits, taking notes, overcoming test anxiety, writing research papers, test-taking tips, etc.)
Khan Academy (free video tutorials on
math, science, economics, finance, etc.)
[] Articles on Health
[] Choosing safe consumer products
[] Sleep and Sleeplessness
[] WolframAlpha (fact-based knowledge engine)
[] Food and Nutrition Information Center
[] Requesting Letters of Recommendation from me.
[] Test/Quiz scores, plus Attendance Record
[] Occupational Outlook Handbook (critically important information compiled by the U.S. government on almost any job career you can ever think of).
Procedural democracy-related links you must also explore:
[] How laws are made in the U.S.
[] Path to the Supreme Court (Chart)
[] U.S. Supreme Court Procedures
[] U.S. Supreme Court: Web site
[] The U.S. Judicial Process: The Federal Court System.
[] Legislation of the U.S. Congress (The Library of Congress Thomas web site)
[] Justice Denied.org
Famous trials in history
ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 4
Guys: Please go through this announcement carefully:
Those who still can't access the online class materials for this course
on their personal computers, for whatever reason, must use the
computers in Lockwood Library (I have not had a chance to test computers
at other locations on campus).
ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 3
Folks: Please go through this announcement carefully:
(A) As mentioned in the next announcement below, I do not access e-mails through mobile devices; I access them only through a desktop computer. My job description does not require me to be a prisoner of communications technology. :) Therefore, you may not get a response to an e-mail you send me before the next class meets. If this happens, talk to me after class, because if you don't I will assume that your e-mail message was not important--in which case of course you, most likely, will never get a response.
(B) Any time you send me e-mail it must be in a professional format: Starts with "Dear Professor," and ends with "Sincerely." (Check out the format of e-mails I send you.)
(C) As announced in class today, homework for next week's quiz (September 18), is as follows:
(1) First, as I showed you in class today (assuming you were paying attention), go to the films page by following this clickpath:
www.elegantbrain.com --> online materials for assignments --> This semester's course assignment materials --> copyright page --> online materials for course assignments--> PART I (Films) --> Part I--Film (Notes/Assignments/Links) <-- When you arrive on this web page, first go through the entire page to see the layout, and then do the following:
(3) If you cant access the PART I (Films) web page, then (as I have stated several times in class), if others in class are able to access this page, but not you, then use the computers in Lockwood Library or clear the cookies and cache in your browser (which you are supposed to do on a regular basis, anyway--internet hygiene). Instructions for doing this for your specific browser can be accessed via Google search on the internet, or visit the computer help desk in Lockwood Library.
(4) For those who were unable to access the Remember the Titans film, I have also provided an alternative link--courtesy of one of you--thank you. :)
(5) If, after trying all of the steps above, you are still having problems, then come and see me during my office hours; do not send me e-mails.
ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 2
People:Welcome to the class home page for AAS 253 which you are required to visit on a regular basis. Please go through the following announcement carefully:
1. As announced in class today, homework for next week (Sept. 11): watch these two films: Remember the Titans and Last Fall. You can access these films through Netflix, OR via this link:
If others in class are able to access these films, but not you, then use the computers in Lockwood Library or clear the cookies and cache in your browser (which you are supposed to do on a regular basis, anyway). Instructions for doing this for your specific browser can be accessed via Google search on the internet, or visit the computer help desk in Lockwood Library.
2. We will have a short written quiz on this homework next week (like the one we had today). Quiz instructions that were handed out today in class, are also available here.
3. Yes. I am allowing you to bring any HANDWRITTEN notes you take on the films. (Handwritten notes only.)
Best way to take notes on an assigned film: use one or two key words for every scene in the film. Do not write detailed notes, because you will end up missing parts of the film. (If I were you, I would see the films twice.)
4. Those who registered recently can do a make-up quiz for the homework assigned last week--see below. You can do the make-up immediately after class next week.
5. If you are a first-year or second-year student, please read this document here.
6. With rare exception, I won't be sending you e-mail reminders about announcements in the future. Instead, you should make it a habit to visit this class-home page regularly.
7. I do not access e-mails through mobile devices; I access them only through a desktop computer. My job description does not require me to be a prisoner of communications technology. :) Therefore, you may not get a response to an e-mail you send me before the next class meets. If this happens, talk to me after class, because if you don't I will assume that your e-mail message was not important--in which case of course you, most likely, will never get a response.
ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 1
Welcome to the
for AAS 253
are required to visit on a regular basis. The announcement below was e-mailed to you on 8/28/2019:
A-Z Index of all UB websites
|One of my favorite web sites (not recommended except for those with a lot of common sense): darwinawards.com||Guys: If anybody knows the answer to the following question posed by the Dilbert Cartoonist, Scott Adams, let me know: "If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?"|