Verbal BONUS Quiz 1 (AAS 100) Yes. You can consult handwritten notes.
1. Name the scat singer in the video titled Jazz--Conversation in Scat.
2. Both these African American intellectuals
began their lives as enslaved children during the era of U.S. slavery.
Name them. (Yes both must be named otherwise points will be deducted.)
3. What did Frederick Douglass do
with the $65,000 or so he received as a gift from his English/Irish
friends when he was about to return from England? (Always remember
you need allies in struggles for justice.)
4. Frederick Douglass had a big disagreement with a prominent
EuroAmerican abolitionist, Willliam Lloyd Garrison, over the U.S.
constitution which severely affected their friendship. What was the
5. Some of you take going to school for granted so much so that you do
not even do your homework. Yes? Anyhow in one of the assigned readings
there is this statement: "I had the feeling that to get into a
schoolhouse and study would be about the same as getting into paradise."
From whose biography does this statement come?
6. How did W.E.B. DuBois relate to Marcus Garvey and Booker T. Washington, both at the intellectual level and at the personal level?