(Read the office hours policies available via this same link before you come to see me.)
NOTE: Important links are toward the bottom of this page.
ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 8
Folks: As per announcement in class, please note:
1. My office hours will change starting from tomorrow. Link is above.
2. Reminder: All excused absences must be accompanied by the Missed Attendance/Test form (even if you have talked to me about it) and any missed work must be made up during my office hours.
3. Materials you must study for the Final Exam are as follows:
(*) Study ALL images plus only starred sections of the text (plus any accompanying footnotes) in this document: Race/Racism....
ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 7
First, readings for the rest of the semester are available here. Second, as per announcement in class, the upcoming test (click on test dates link at the bottom of this page), will cover some or all of these materials:
(a) All readings from Announcement No. 6 below.Yes, this time around, you can bring any printed materials, and notes to the test. However, please note: study these materials beforehand because a strict time limit will be enforced. This will be a difficult test for those who do not study the above materials.
Reminder: If all had done their work by coming to class and participating in the verbal in-class quizzes we would not be having this test. Yes? To those who did participate successfully, at least you did get bonus points.
ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 6
Posted 10/9/2017 UPDATED 10/11/2017; 10/16/2017
As per announcement in class last week, instructions for the term paper are available here. Please go through them with a fine toothcomb.
Readings to be done by Monday (10/16): A and B.
Readings to be done by Wednesday (10/18): C and D.
Readings to be done by Monday (10/23): E and F (read first three pages).
Readings to be done by Wednesday (10/25): G and H.
Readings to be done by Monday (10/30): I (first 9 pages), and J (first 8 pages).
ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 5
As per announcement in class last week, we will have a test on Monday next week (October 2). It will cover some or all of these materials:ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 4
ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 3
As per announcement in class today, please see this one hour documentary by Wednesday's class: The First Year. The film is available on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/e6wAMC41ZXQ It is also, probably, available on Netflix. Remember to take notes. You know the deal now.
Update (9/13/2017). Please read the first 13 pages of a report available here (and thumb through the rest).
ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 2
This announcement, per class yesterday, is about the upcoming quiz on Monday (Sept. 11, 2017); however, first, some important reminders:
(1) Yes, you can bring handwritten notes to the quiz; repeat: only handwritten notes and nothing else.
(2) There will be three types of questions on the quiz: Short-answer questions (requiring a few words or one or two sentences); long answer questions (requiring a short essay), and multiple-choice questions.
(3) When quizzes/tests are being constructed one of the main guiding principles is what may be called the "lazy student rule." (Lazy students either do not come to class regularly, and/or do not take notes, and/or do not study at all for the quiz/test, or minimally choose what to study according to their personal whims--instead of what the instructor tells them what the quiz/test will cover. Whatever the case, the questions presented are aimed at ensuring that lazy students do not pass the quiz/test.)
(4) Unexcused/undocumented absences, and/or coming late to class, and/or leaving class before it is officially over will all carry demerit points--to be deducted from bonus points that may be earned from time to time by means of extra-credit assignments.
(5) Do not send the instructor e-mails that do not begin with this proper salutation (Dear...) and closure (Sincerely,...), otherwise you may not get a response. NOTE: (a) If a class session intervenes before the instructor has had a chance to respond to your e-mail then you will probably never get a response. Why? Because it will be assumed that if you really needed a response then you would have talked to the instructor about it either immediately before or after the class session. (b) With rare exception, work-related e-mails will not receive responses on weekends or during school-breaks.
What the quiz will cover:
questions will be based on some or all of the following materials:
(a) All class proceedings (which includes lectures, discussions, news reports, web sites, audio materials, visual materials, etc.) covering the period August 28 through September 6.
(b) Items 1 through 7 under Announcement no. 1, below, that was covered in class--including the first two pages of the syllabus. <--- WARNING: Do not screw up on this section by assuming these materials are unimportant.
(c) The reading assignment in the syllabus (which is item 2 in the Announcement 1, below) for weeks 1 and 2.
(d) The documentary film assignment (Waiting for Superman--available through Netflix, and/or the campus library, and/or YouTube, and/or Amazon streaming, and/or some other websites (such as Vimeo)).
ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 1
Welcome to the class home page for AAS 333 which you are required to visit on a regular basis. Your failure to follow instructions posted via announcements on this page will NOT be looked on kindly. You have been warned! This page will be redesigned and updated soon but in the mean time please download and read ALL the documents below which will give you information on basic course requirements.A note about e-mails:
Do not send me e-mails that do not begin with this proper salutation (Dear...) and closure (Sincerely,...), otherwise you may not get a response.
A-Z Index of all UB websites
1. Office Hours: see link above. (Note: read the office hours policies available via this same link before you come to see me.)
3. Missed Test/Attendance Form
4. Etiquette (U.B. Policy)
6. Policy on Academic Freedom
7. Online Course Materials
7(a) Readings Schedule
7(c) Term Paper Instructions
8. Documentaries and films streaming available via UB libraries here:
9. Course Related News Links
10 Test/Quiz Scores + Attendance Record
11. Test Instructions
11(a) TEST DATES
12. UB Policy on Sexual Misconduct
13. Class Notes